Train up a child in the way he should go...Prov. 22:6a
Questions on Book of Ruth
(These questions can be used as a supplement while studying the book of Ruth or independently as a quiz for young people’s service, a contest between 2 groups, etc. Answers are in blue along with the Scripture reference.)
1. What period in time does this story take place?
Days of the judges (1:1)
2. What natural calamity had befallen the land?
A famine (1:1)
3. What was Naomi’s band’s name?
4. What were Elimelech’s two sons’ names?
Chilion and Mahlon (1:2)
5. What country did they journey to?
6. How long did they dwell there?
About 10 years (1:4)
7. How many daughters-in-law did Naomi have?
8. What were the names of Naomi's 2 daughters-in-law?
Orpah and Ruth (1:4)
9. Who's three deaths occurred in Moab?
Elimelech, Mahlon, and Chilion (1:3,5)
10. What did Naomi instruct her daughters-in-law to do?
Return to their own homes (1:8)
11. Which daughter-in-law went back?
12. What town did they come to?
13. What did Naomi say her name was?
14. It was the beginning of what harvest?
1. What was the financial status of Boaz?
A mighty man of wealth (2:1)
2. What occupation did Ruth want to undertake?
Glean in the field (2:2)
3. What commandment did Boaz tell Ruth he gave the young men
Not to touch her (2:9)
4. What did Ruth have for lunch?
Bread dipped in vinegar and parched corn (2:14)
5. How much barley was Ruth able to glean that day?
About an ephah (2:18)
6. What was Naomi’s reaction when she found out where Ruth had
Happy, satisfied, etc. (2:20)
7. How long was Ruth to glean in the fields?
Till the end of barley and wheat harvests (2:22)
1. What was Naomi’s desire for Ruth?
Seek rest for her (marriage) (3:1)
2. Who was Naomi trying to match up Ruth with?
3. What was Boaz doing that night?
Winnowing barley (3:2)
4. What was Ruth to do after Boaz had laid down for the night?
Lay down at his feet (3:4)
5. What time of the night did Boaz wake up?
6. What did Boaz say when he found out it was Ruth at his feet?
Blessed be thou of the Lord (3:10)
7. What obstacle stood in the way of their marriage?
A nearer kinsman (3:12)
8. How much barley did Boaz give Ruth when she left?
6 measures (3:15)
9. What was Naomi’s advice to Ruth when she came home?
Sit still (3:18)
1. Where did the elders of the city meet at?
City gate (4:2)
2. How many of the elders were called to this meeting?
3. What did Naomi have to sell?
A parcel of land (4:3)
4. Why did the nearer kinsman change his mind about marrying
Ruth and redeeming the parcel of land?
Lest it mar his own inheritance (4:6)
5. What was their custom for completing transactions during this
Giving them their shoe (4:7)
6. What 2 people was Ruth to be like?
Rachel and Leah (4:11)
7. What did Rachel and Leah do?
Built the house of Israel (4:11)
8. How much better was Ruth to Naomi?
Better then 7 sons (4:15)
9. Who was Ruth and Boaz’s grandson?
10. Who was David’s grandfather?
11. What is the numerical position of the book of Ruth in the